Search This Blog

Monday, August 9, 2010

Why am I Trying Veggie?

Fruit and vegetable box
There's a lot of reasons that I've decided to start Trying Veggie. Below is a bit of the background that led up to the tipping point, but overall the primary deciding factor is nutrition. I feel that a strict rule (Don't Eat Meat) forces me outside of the comfort zone and complacent approach I had recently developed toward food. The meals I was making had meat at center stage, while veggies and grains were an afterthought.

Example: six pounds of pork shoulder salted a day in advance, cut into cubes and seared, then braised in the oven with some fun ingredients (orange juice, Coca-Cola, etc.) which made amazing carnitas. We had tacos, used the meat for sandwiches, etc. but we didn't consume nearly enough vegetables and grains.

Another meaty dish of mine: little lamb t-bones
A typical pattern... at the last minute before we sat down to eat, I would cut romaine and drizzle on some dressing. Most of our meals were like this--to the point where my husband had to ask me to start serving more vegetables. Sadly, this meant I bought a bag of frozen mixed veggies at my next trip to the market.

I started to think back and wondered what happened? It's just that a lot in life had changed--we moved cross-country and focused on "more important" things. Then when asking "what's the dinner," meat was the answer.

So I started to think back to things that have previously resonated with me to summon a greater focus on nutrition and less meat:
  • Super Size Me (the whole feature film can be viewed after two short ads)
  • Food, Inc. (excerpts and trailers)
  • The Abs Diet
  • Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook
  • Dr. Weil's Anti-Inflammatory Food Pyramid
  • Vegetarian options discovered in California
  • Reconnecting with a friend from junior high (who lives north of me in CA and has been a vegetarian for many years)
  • Driving past the Coalinga Feed Yard on a recent drive up to San Francisco (the smell and site was horrific)
    • "1/3 of the US supermarket beef is finished on feedlots like that in Coalinga (700 acres with up to 120,000 head of cattle)... Cattle may spend 110-150 days on a feedlot where they're fed grain and protein (some say also steroids) where they'll come in weighing 800lbs and leave for slaughter weighing around 1250 lbs." via Chowhound
  • Graham Hill at the TED Conference--Why I'm a weekday vegetarian
 In a quick nut shell, that's why I am Trying Veggie. What about you? Are you curious about trying veggie too? Please use the comments option to share with me why you do, or would--moral reasons? Health? The environment?

3 comments:

  1. I have been curious for years. I always order my meal at a restaurant based on the grains and vegetables on the side, and often want only the vegetarian dish, like risotto or a pasta dish. The only reason I haven't taken the vegetarian plunge is because I can't stand the thought of preparing different meals for my family, and I can't see my husband giving up meat. My kids would be easy - my 5-year-old eats anything served, and loves vegetables. My 3-year-old is more picky but I can see he has the same tastes I do - he gravitates away from meat and towards grains and fruit.

    I've seen and read several of the aforementioned films, books, etc. but still never put my own beliefs and preferences ahead of the family as a whole. Perhaps it's time....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll write more about some of the things you've said in another post--but will absolutely admit it isn't easy. My little one never wanted to eat the meat I served, but it also takes some convincing for her to eat a lentil burger. Chick peas right out of the can, no problem. Raw veggies, absolutely. So far my husband is eating what I've made, but some meals have gone over better than others (and he's had chicken twice--once at lunch near his job and the other from a rotisserie chicken he grabbed at Costco).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our meals also center around "meat", so the added difficulty or stress to any given day to produce a "meal" (sans meat) would be too much to take on..... That having been said... though... Lady Gaga's Meat Dress threw me into a spin where I gagged (literally) the moment I saw it ... and avoided meat for the next 48 hours. What an impact that had on me. Her disrespect for the animal, all for shock value was appalling. Maybe one day meatless..... -Judy

    ReplyDelete